Sunday, September 20, 2015

How To NOT Pick A Book By It's Cover

Admit it. We all have been guilty in one way or another to pick a book by it's over. It's human nature. We judge by appearance in what, about five seconds flat? I'm here as your mentor to help you stray from the ways of not picking that book by it's cover. Now lets get started
1. Read the book jacket.
If you see a book on the shelf of your favorite bookstore, library, house, etc. don't just walk on by, look at the cover, then put it back. Open the cover and look on the book jacket or on the back, depending on if you have a hardcover or paperback copy. If you get halfway through the description and decide it's not for you then no hard feelings. The book is just happy you took the time to show interest in it.
2. Research the author.
If you see a book, read the book jacket/back cover, and decide it's not the one, then do a little research. If you took the time to look at that author's book then your intuition is telling you that, that author could be the one for you, just not that book/series. For example, Cassandra Clare, I've spoke about her before, she's written three main series. The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, and the Magisterium series. I really enjoy the first two but the third is a bit childish for me.
3. Watch the movie.
NOTE: This does not apply to all books (but I think you know that).
I am not an extreme advocate for this way of book choice but it sometimes may work. For example, the movie Twilight, book written by Stephenie Meyer. I despised the book series until I watched this movie. It allowed me to picture the characters in my head once I read the book and it made me realize that BOOKS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE MOVIES. The main reason for this is because books can go into much more detail and when painting a picture in one's imagination, detail is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment