Thursday, December 17, 2015

From Book to Screen: The 5th Wave

I'm going to be real with you all, is that ok? I had known for couple of weeks ago that this was going to be a movie and I should've written about it sooner. But I'm here now to tell you all about how excited I am for this transition.
I'm not going to let the fact that whenever a book transforms into a movie they change things in the plot, leave things in the book out of the movie (creating massive holes, but whatever), and resulting in an overall poor quality movie. This is generally because people will religiously read these young adult novels and compare the book and the movie like they are one and the same, which they are clearly not. Set to be in theaters January 22nd, I have a lot of catching up to do. But even if I'm a little rusty I'll attempt to give you a decent overview of the book and hope to convince you to join me in seeing the movie.
After an alien spaceship came appeared in the sky, no one knew the tragedy that was to come. "The Others" unleashed a series of four deadly waves that were meant to kill off the earths population. The first wave was cutting out all of the power, every little bit. The second wave was a worldwide earthquake meant to kill everyone. The third wave was disease that spread across the planet. By the fourth wave everyone alive knew that the Others were on earth.
While preparing for the 5th wave Cassie tries to rescue her brother Sam, who was driven away by a friendly looking school bus away from the camp that they were staying at. Racing to try to find where Sam is, Cassie finds a mysterious young guy (conveniently her age and her eventual love interest) and is forced to trust him and let him help her find her brother.
I remember that when I started this book I thought it was just another dumb story about aliens, but boy was I wrong. Soon after beginning to read it, I became obsessed (but then again when is that ever new with me?). I highly recommend it because there are great plot twists and many cliff-hangers, and if I remember the end of the book correctly pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment