Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Best Soundtrack For Reading

We all have that favorite song to listen to no matter what the activity. For me while running I enjoy listening to electronic music, like the artist Major Lazer. They have both remixes of songs and their own songs. But no matter what: THE MUSIC SETS THE MOOD.
I can't even begin to describe the importance of mood when it comes to music. If your book is somber or you are at the climax you might feel like listening to a dramatic artist with many climaxes in their melody. Maybe you're at the part of your book where everything is beginning to all come together and wrap up so you might want to listen to an artist who has an upbeat sound to their music.
But do not let your music be so complex that it takes away from your reading. My favorite kind of music is Indie/Alternative so I have a playlist on Spotify created for the specific activity of reading, sleeping, relaxing, or any activity requires a calm mind. This kind of music can also just be to provide background noise so that you're not distracted by things going on around you (e.g. studying).
You know when you get to the point of when you've heard a song so many times you can recite all of the lyrics, almost like it's muscle memory? A sensation I believe is related to that is whenever I listen to an album while reading a book, finish the book, then stop listening to the soundtrack, and when I reread the book I can recall all of the songs I listened to while reading that particular book. To me that is the most amazing sensation I can experience. It's similar to how photography works. When you see a picture you like, it taps into your memories and finds the one that relates to that particular picture and gives you the same emotion you felt during that memory. Whenever I reread that book and can almost hear the album that I had played when reading that book, I get a pleasant recollection of reading that book for the first time, and experiencing all of those emotions for the second time.
These are the reasons I believe that the music sets the mood to whatever you're doing, more importantly reading. I hope that every one of you gets the chance to experience the sensation of recollection using your music as a guide.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you related it to memories and the feelings you get when you remember things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you related it to memories and the feelings you get when you remember things.

    ReplyDelete