Thursday, February 4, 2016

H2O: Another Review

This book is about exactly what the title says: water. Only the water in this book is poisonous with a microscopic alien. The destruction of an asteroid that was hurtling towards earth caused all of these bits of "stardust" containing these microscopic aliens, that were extremophile (an organism that could live in extreme weather/temperature conditions), to "fall" into all of the water supply. They reproduce at a speed that humans can't even imagine. People who touch any infected water immediately start to itch because the aliens have begun to reproduce inside of their bloodstream. Humans will itch and itch until they have itched enough of their skin off to die from blood loss.
Gory right? Let's get into the not-as-gory summary of the book, shall we? The main character of the book is Ruby Morris, a fifteen year-old girl who loses her mom, stepdad, and baby brother to the microscopic aliens. The book is mainly the journey of Ruby trying to find her father after the family she lived with died. Ruby loots what's left of her town, takes her car, a few passengers, and what she has looted from the stores, on her journey to London, England, to find her dad. Did I mention that the story start in a town called Dartbridge, England? Anyways, Ruby has all of these not so fun - excuse me, I should probably say life threatening - "adventures" that nearly get her killed because of the rain. Upon getting to London, Ruby finds out that her dad isn't at his house or in the army camp/base set up right outside of London. But after trying to seek refuge in the army camp, they do a screening of Ruby and decide she doesn't have anything to offer. The British army takes Ruby and a group of others on a bus to a remote village and proceed to dump them there and leave. Now Ruby has to make her own way without the British army and look for her dad elsewhere.
I believe the main reason why I enjoy this book so much is because of how childish it sounds. That may sound unintelligent of me and may make this book seem like an easy read, which it is, but that's the truth. If I were a new novelist/author, which Virginia Bergin is, I believe that I would write like her. I love young adult novels, specifically dystopian ones, and I hope to become an author like Suzanne Collins, Cassandra Clare, or Veronica Roth. Maybe I'm biased because I've read so many dystopian YA novels and know they're my favorite, but I particularly enjoy H2O and recommend you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment