Thursday, February 11, 2016

Long Way Down: The Millionth Movie Review

Ever since I heard a song featured on the movie's soundtrack, I've been wanting to watch this movie. As I've stated in an earlier blog post, The Best Soundtrack for Reading, the music that accompanies a story is what makes or breaks it. One of my favorite artists is, Daughter, and her song, Youth, is featured in the movie. The two main reasons why I love this movie is the scenery or the places that it's filmed, and the music that accompanies the scenery. Overall this movie is just a beautifully filmed movie. 
The movie is about four suicidal people who all accidentally meet one another upon attempting to commit suicide by jumping off the top of a building on New Year's Eve. After a very long night, Martin, Maureen, J.J., and Jess, all convince each other not to commit suicide until Valentine's Day, the next most popular day for suicide attempts. Between New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day, the group bonds by trying the spin their fame (Martin and Jess), by making a story about their attempt at suicide. Through this period the group bonds, and even goes on a holiday together. Then after Maureen's son takes a trip to the hospital, Maureen realizes she can't commit suicide and leave her son alone. The day that Maureen's son is taken to the hospital, Jess and Martin meet Maureen there to give their support. They all question where J.J. is, then realize that it's Valentine's Day, and how he must be at the top of the building attempting to commit suicide. I won't spoil it, whether J.J. jumps or not, but I will highly recommend to watch and experience it for yourself.
A Long Way Down is a fairly sad movie, but there are very many happy glimpses. You get to see a background into the life of each character and why they are depressed and contemplated suicide. For me, the way that a movie looks is a big factor in whether I will enjoy that movie or not. In this movie the wardrobe, the scenery, even the hue that each scene had, after editing most likely, was all just set to perfection and made me enjoy this movie, on top of the plot which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment