Friday, November 13, 2015

THE HOLIDAYS ARE TAKING OVER

Okay, so this may not be your average post from me, but this topic was on my mind. Every year it seems like the holidays are getting earlier and earlier every year. I was speaking to a teacher of mine and she confirmed the fact that they are indeed getting earlier every year. She had said that after going to a department store the previous week to loose for those fake leaves, that they had taken them down in late August. I mean shouldn't you be able to buy fall decor while it's still fall? November is not winter, yet there is still Thanksgiving. Which if I'm not delusional is considered a fall holiday, as is Halloween.
Black Friday is another holiday takeover. The minute November begins the ads for "Black Friday all month" begin. Companies trying to sell the fact that shopping there is not like those crazy department stores on Black Friday, I wonder is they get much business. They emphasizing on the fact that their Black Friday sales work differently than department store sales. For example, the other day I saw a car dealership commercial with a Black Friday ad. Obviously a car dealership works differently than a department store. During Black Friday people have to be orderly at a car dealership and car dealerships don't have cashiers like department stores.
Anyways, back on topic. Christmas especially, is getting earlier and earlier every year. The day of Halloween stores are putting out Christmas items. Then the commercials begin to takeover TV. At first they are just for things about meals, like HyVee has a commercial airing I believe. Then the kids toys, electronics, and material Christmas gift commercials begin to air. Finally, the radio it overthrown. Any public radio station, the minute it's Thanksgiving or December first, has every Christmas song you have ever heard. At first these songs are fond memories and get you in the Christmas cheer, but then they get so annoying.
Either way things are getting ridiculous. I am so annoyed at Corporate America. They just keep pushing advertising seasons earlier and earlier until it gets to the point where I can't go around in late October without seeing Christmas decorations everywhere. Holiday advertisement is getting overdone and many people don't even enjoy how early this advertising is, so why do it, is my question.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true! I was in Chicago Labor Day weekend for my birthday, we went to Rainforest Café at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. While we were waiting for dinner, we were walking around and sure enough Macy's had an array of Christmas all decorated and on display. It's September, WHYYYY! My family and I love Black Friday Shopping, but you can't really call it Black Friday, because sales start at 6pm or sooner Thanksgiving day. But its crazy how early everything is! Can we at least get through one holiday.

    ReplyDelete