Sunday, October 25, 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl: Another Movie Review

Initial thoughts upon seeing this book and movie being released: "Ugh, are you kidding me? Another cancer movie? Haven't we already had enough with The Fault In Our Stars? (by John Green)" But after this movie came out on DVD, or for me On Demand, I decided why not watch it? It got good reviews on IMDB.com and that was it for me.
So the premise of the movie is about a somewhat lonely senior named Greg, who spends all of his time with his "co-worker" Earl, who is actually his friend as you can assume, and a leukemia-ridden teenage girl, named Rachel.
Throughout the movie you can see how alone Greg is, his only "co-worker" being Earl, and the only thing they do together is watch old crappy movies. They also make their own versions of these crappy movies. But what I can say enticed me most about the movie is the power of silence. Greg is silent a lot, being a loner and all, when Greg and Earl are together they are silent, and when Greg and Rachel watch movies together they are silent, but that's explained silence.
Another thing that captured my attention about the movie is the spectacular styling. The portrayal of the homes of Greg and Earl really showed through into their personalities. But what moved me the most was Rachel's room. Throughout the movie you don't really get to know Rachel because of her having stage four cancer and all. But at the end of the movie when an underlying message appears, you really get to see and learn new things about Rachel through her room.
The last thing that REALLY got me was the fact that Greg lies to you throughout the whole movie, him being the narrator and all. If you haven't seen the movie/read the book (even though I haven't read the book) you might want to skip this whole paragraph. Greg keeps telling you that Rachel won't die and even though it's in the title of the whole dang movie she won't die. But then at the end when the inevitable happens the walls you fought so hard to build throughout the movie, to protect yourself from the inevitable, just coming crashing down as if a tsunami hit them. Honestly, I spent the whole last 30 minutes of that movie crying, no joke.
Either way this movie gets either a nine out of ten or a ten out of ten from me. The main reason being that I was completely surprised by this movie. I have yet to read the book and as we all know the book it better than the movie!
 

2 comments: